+3
AizenSama
nanikureh
BrutalPony
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BrutalPony

Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Empty
PostSubject: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 8:58 am

Isn't there something we can do?
I mean I know Junior is busy taking his finals and living his life.
I have no problem with that, nor do I take offense to anything.

However, with the recent, needless to say excessive, amounts of down time, it's gotten to a ridiculous amount. I haven't even been playing for 2 weeks, and there have been what? 4 or 5 days where I haven't been able to log due to down time.

Enough of the explanation that everyone already knows.

Is there perhaps some sort of way to avoid this?
I ask, not only administrators/GMs, but the community.

Would it be possible to give access to routine server features that would allow them to simply reboot everything and get it working again?
I mean I know you wouldn't just trust ANYONE with that kind of power, but what about one of the more 'veteran' GM players. Or even someone like Alex who's been around since the beginning? It's not an attack at anyone or this private server. I love it here. I am merely being inquisitive to derive a possible solution to our problem. I don't even know if shared access is possible. It's just that Junior (the only one with access) lives in.. Singapore? or something like that? AKA halfway across the world from a large amount of your player base. We're in nearly opposite time zones, and I think that serves a problem, especially if Junior is really busy one day and doesn't have time for Index. Giving someone in multiple time zones that ability to control the status of the server would keep your downtimes limited down to a mere 2-3 hours; which is a small speed bump in the giant pothole we have before us.

If anyone else has any other discussions to offer, please post here :3

Happy (not right now though) Mapling!
Back to top Go down
nanikureh

PostSubject: exactly   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:04 am

Have an auto reset to keep the server fluent once an hour or some other rate.

I have had that in an earlier server due to custom spawns and events in the game that gets faulty after time. But after a quick 3 min reset, everything would be fine hours on end.

Not exactly sure if it would be tooo sophisticated but a reset should be that complicated? Maybe have it manually done by a gm. Given the amount of gm's present nothing can be done for 5 hours so far. Not to mention nearly a day of down time a few days ago.
Back to top Go down
BrutalPony

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:10 am

For the record, it was around 31 hours of downtime, when I went to bed.
Back to top Go down
AizenSama
AizenSama

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:32 am

nanikureh wrote:
Have an auto reset to keep the server fluent once an hour or some other rate.

I have had that in an earlier server due to custom spawns and events in the game that gets faulty after time. But after a quick 3 min reset, everything would be fine hours on end.

Not exactly sure if it would be tooo sophisticated but a reset should be that complicated? Maybe have it manually done by a gm. Given the amount of gm's present nothing can be done for 5 hours so far. Not to mention nearly a day of down time a few days ago.

But then we would need to fix it so that boss monsters like HH and Pianus dont keep spawning otherwise it'll be overkill for attking classes wouldnt it?
Back to top Go down
http://Google.ca
phomaniac

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 10:44 am

Right now, I believe that the server is again being hosted from Junior's computer and is thus unavailable for sharing access to GM's. When we're on the VPS I believe it is then possible to restart the server from multiple people.
Back to top Go down
Alexa
Alexa

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm

A very obvious "No" to the access to normal players (even veterans, like alex, drew, jan, chris, me, etc.).
Yes to the auto reset after a certain amount of downtime.
Back to top Go down
Vicarious
Vicarious

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:55 pm

If there was an auto restarter, it can't be reset too frequently due to boss respawns etc. (like mentioned earlier)

It's tricky to find the right time. Because what if someone forgets when it is and starts let's say a zak run for example? Most likely there will be some QQing.

I seriously think this problem will go away once we switch to the new VPS. *crosses fingers*
Back to top Go down
Alexa
Alexa

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 12:58 pm

I mean an auto restarter after a certain amount of downtime, only. Restarting too often would just kill the boss spawns.
So like after say....an hour of downtime the server would auto restart.
Back to top Go down
Solace
Solace

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitimeSat Jun 05, 2010 1:03 pm

No to the thread overall.

As I'm resuming the position I held before, there will be no need
for any of this. Sorry to waste your time with said thread.

P.S.- The constant crashes will be fixed soon. o-o There's nothing
anyone can do to stop them 'til Junior gets it on the roll.
Closed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash   Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alternative solutions with the 'routine' server crash
Page 1 of 1